Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna I - Phase 1 - Electronics - How to get to the fuel gauge sender

View Single Post
post #8 of (permalink) Old 20th February 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0

Originally Posted by prbaxter View Post
I have done it!!!!

-Disconnect the battery and the plug that goes into the fuel pump.
-Unclip the clips on the 2 pipes and remove the 2 pipes, push them to the side out of the way - is you park the car facing down hill, then you shouldn't get much fuel coming back down the pipes.
-Remove the black pointy ring. Use a hammer and a bit of wood to gently shock it loose if its stuck. unscrews in the normal manner.
-once removed, then fuel pump and sender will just lift out. A rubber seal sits between this and the fuel tank, take this out.
-the sender unit has a float attached to a long bent metal rod. angle this out without bending it.
-Test that movement of the float and rod actually moves the little rheostat. Place a multimeter accross the terminals to see if there is current flow and check that this changes with change in rod/float position.
- The chances are that the float had just got stuck somewhere in the tank, so just reassmble the whole thing.
- Place the rubber ring around the hole in the tank first.
-Then feed the sender unti back down, with the arrow facing the front of the car.
-Push down whilst you replace the black ring and screw nice and tight (this took me ages and was quite frustrating)
-replace the pipes - ensure they are on fully or fuel will leak from them!
-replace clips and power plug.
-reconnect the battery.
-start the car
-observe the fuel pump and look under the car to ensure no fuel is leaking. Your nose will have got use to the fumes by now and your hands will be covered in petrol.
-check the fuel gauge - magic!
-oh yes, and no smoking on this one!
Although, i think my fuel gauge is now stuck at 1/4 tank, but its not on empty anymore.

Many thanks to all that helped my with this one - either directly or indirectly!
any idea why you have to disconnect battery ?, and i seem to have major dramas disconnecting the red fuel line from the top of the sender as it seems to have a gripping clip?? ANYONE PLEASE!!!!!
please feel free to email advice
Currently in craigmac's garage:
1996 renault laguna 1.8 rn
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome