Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Rear Brakes Lock On when Reversing

View Single Post
post #39 of (permalink) Old 14th February 2014
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Re: Clio Rear Brakes Lock On when Reversing

Bonding brake lining to the shoes has many advantages. First is the cost of manufacture and the reduced scrap rate during manufacture. As brake manufacturers have to bond brake pads anyway the bonding process is readily available.

Plus the lining will have an increased surface area of around 5% to 10% and the risk of worn linings exposing the rivets resulting in excessive drum wear. Also should a riveted lining be exposed to excessive heat there is the added risk of the lining cracking around the rivet holes due to uneven heat disapation. To be honest it is much rarer to see brake pads delaminating yet they have a smaller surface area plus work at much higher temperatures.

In my experience this problem seems to be mainly related to Renault Clios so I suspect it is a design problem rather than a brake lining bonding problem. I have came across the problem were both original and after-market brakes shoes are used. From my experience I believe the problem is mainly due to the porosity of the cast iron used in drum manufacture. One thing I have noticed is that when this occurs I gently heat the drum using a hot air gun and you can actually see the moisture rising to the surface. It seems that the high moisture content causes the lining to stick to the braking surface if the drum resulting in high shear forces being applied to the lining. It may also be that the rear drums rarely get warm enough to dispel and moisture present.

These are just my opinions and I have not been able to prove my theories.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
The Following User Says Thank You to madnoel10 For This Useful Post:
Ralph (14th February 2014)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome