Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Clio Rear Brakes Lock On when Reversing

View Single Post
post #42 of (permalink) Old 14th February 2014
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Re: Clio Rear Brakes Lock On when Reversing

Brake drums tend to need more maintenance than discs mainly due to the fact that brake dust can't escape and the accumulation of dust reduces heat disapation plus it gunges up the internal brakes linkage system. In my opinion well designed and quality manufactured brake drum systems will outlast any disc system and can be just as efficient as rear discs. I think this has been well established and recognised in commercial vehicles. When I had my Clio MKI I needed to remove the drums at least once a year and the original drums where still in good nick after 20 years. Whether that was due to better quality components or due to my regular mantenance I never found out but I do believe it is probably due to both.

The better designed rear drums on my Honda have not needed any maintenance - yes I have checked them annually but only to inspect.

The argument about drums being less efficient when it comes to ABS isn't strictly true after all the first ABS systems fitted to aircraft many moons ago were drum type.

As a side note one of the most efficient car handbrake systems I have ever came across was on the old Saab's were the handbrake operated as separate drums inside the front discs - yes a handbrake that worked on the front wheels. It was purely mechanical with no interface with the hydraulics. Other cars such as some of the older Vauxhalls and Toyota have a similar system on the rear - sadly these have also been discontinued on most most modern models.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome