Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Megane 2002 1.4 brake issues

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 15th February 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Megane 2002 1.4 brake issues

I've just bought a 2002 Megane 1.4 (1st registered June 2002) with 113,500 on the clock and in really clean/tidy condition. No rust or dents. It seems quite well cared for with 3 owners from new (the third owner only had the car for 3 months).

The guy I bought it from said the handbrake doesn't seem to cause the near side rear brake to engage properly or as much as the offside.

He'd had it checked at a garage and they'd greased the cable and tightened things up but when I tested it by allowing it to roll backwards slowly and then pulling the handbrake one side at the rear felt like it was lifting although the car stopped fine.

I've had the car a couple of days and I've noticed that when it's coming to a stop from around 15 mph, under breaking, it doesn't slow down smoothly. It's as if I'm breaking hard then lightly then hard again although I'm applying the same pressure on the break pedal.

It feels like a warped disc.

After a 20 mile trip down the motorway today I stopped off to get some fuel and as I pulled away and steered left and right I heard a slight squeal from wheels. Not sure if it was the front or back, near side or off side but after 50 yards the noise had gone regardless of turning or not.

After I got home I felt the alloys of each wheel and noticed that the near side rear felt slightly warm in the middle while all the others felt stone cold.

I appreciate that may sound like a lot of things but does anyone know what may be the likely causes of this?

Thanks in advance.
Currently in shezboy's garage:
2002 Megane 1.4 16v Fidji (first reg June 2002)
  5 Lastest Threads by shezboy
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Megane 2002 1.4 brake issues Brakes/Hubs TTT 15 2069 15th February 2014 09:48 PM
I have a Megane Welcome to RenaultForums stuart j 6 777 15th February 2014 08:45 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome