Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Scenic I - Replacing clock and radio bulbs Guide

91K views 56 replies 32 participants last post by  JosephT 
#1 ·
I replaced my radio and clock lights today and took some pics to help others. 10 Minute, really easy job.
Hope it helps

STEP ONE:
Remove the speaker cover, It just prises off with a small flat head screwdriver

STEP TWO:
Unscrew the screw under the speaker cover, This is the only screw you need to remove on the dash (apart from the same one on the other side:d:d)

STEP THREE:
The dash board is on a series of clips, Start by lifting from the bottom then pulling towards yourself.

STEP FOUR:
Remove the two screws holding the clock/display unit on

STEP FIVE:
Remove the bulbs from the back, They just twist out, One is for the radio display and one is for the clock and outside temp.

Replace the bulbs and fit the dashboard back by firstly getting the clips nearest the windscreen under the dash then pushing down, Screw the dash back on and replace the speaker covers and you are away.

The bulbs I used were from Halfords and cost £2.09 each, Item number 509T Exterior/Interior bulb 12V 1.2W

-Andy-

See less See more
#4 ·
I just did this in my car, as above it is a 10 minute job, but can I add that I found the 1.2w bulbs ok but the 2.3w bulbs a lot better, they are really bright and when putting the dash back in there are 2 little sticky out bits where the bottom corners of the dash go, if you find that your speaker covers wont fit as they did then you need to pop the ends of the dash over these bits.
It doesn't affect your airbag in anyway I even smacked my dash down and it was ok.

#5 ·
Good Post

I did this job on my 2000 Scenic a couple of years ago.

All I would add is to take care when prising the dash top cover off. I used a flat paint scraper along the joint to ease the clips to prevent damage to the vinyl. Also I didn't find it necessary to remove the clock unit to replace the bulbs, they are accessible without removing it.

#8 ·
Hi,
great pics....
i did mine yesterday on the SCenic we got last week !! although the clock/temp display on urs had 3screws to hold it in...
I dont think its possible to remove bulbs easily if you try and leave the display in situ, unless your Scenic is different.... as ours seems to have a shroud over the top...

next jobs to sort out loose engine/gearbox mount..and find out why i keep getting static electric shocks when i leave the car !!

#11 ·
Thank you so so much for this. Iv'e been living with not being able to read my display for months now. I got a price for a dealer to change the bulbs and it was a shock i tell you, a case of sitting down and hold my wallet very tight. How they can sleep at night i don't know? Ill be going to Halfords tomorrow to get some bulbs. In the mean time the dash is in my living room for tonight. Many Thanks Rizzo

#19 ·
Thanks Andy. Had just finished fixing rear lock on our Scenic Mark 1 when the I saw the dim radio/trip display had finally gone. I've Haynes book of lies on this and other cars I've had but always google to see if someone has put up something that might help. Great pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post it up.

Good luck and safe driving.

#22 ·
2 in Radio / Clock, never done speedo. However, in my motor factors (SAF Notts) a box of 10 bulbs is cheaper than 2.

#25 ·
On the Mk1 phase 2, I think you'll find that they're LED bulbs built onto the circuit board.

Are you sure that the dash dimming switch hasn't been turned down??
Look on dash near your right knee if a right hand drive car.
;););)
IIRC Dash dim only operates when the lights are on.
Sure I've changed bulbs on Mk1 ph2 radio. Never done speedo which tends to support LED use.

#28 ·
Just replaced the display lights. The info posted is spot on, with just one minor obstruction. The screws are 'star screws'. Would have done the job in 10 minutes but was delayed finding a screwdriver which would fit these star screws. Will have to invest in a set of star drivers. Great post.

#29 ·
Excellent guide and was spot-on right to the letter. The above post makes a very good point, the 2 screws in the dashboard are 'star' types so a normal screwdriver will have difficulty with them but fortunately I had a star socket set.

It took about 10 minutes all together and that was while I was talking to someone on the phone at the same time.

Once again this forum has helped me out :)

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.