Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace 2.2 1996 teething problems

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 24th February 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by ta2mark View Post
Hi just brought a 96 2.2 auto espace which seems to have a few niggling problems.
The battery light seems to fade on and off as it pleases though the battery seems to be holding a charge.
The engine temp gets to almost the red before the fan cuts this normal for these. I id check water level and it was lacking water but have sinced added some though i could not see a max mark on the bottle.
The blower switch inside the car only works on 4 not 1,2 or 3....i have read on here that it could be a burnt out wire but not too sure as there are mentions of a heater pack??
And finally the drivers electric window seems to go down no problem but struggles to come back up if at all....does something just need greasing???
Any help or ideas would be great as other than this she is great.
Hi, Last time i had a battery light going on and off it was the alternator. Mine would start off o.k. then would start coming on and off after about ten minutes. It was the brushes worn out and only just touching the comutator. They can be changed without removing the alternator , but its difficult unless you have another alternator to compare.
Fans not coming on probably due to thermal switch on rad faulty, but could also be air in top of rad - try bleeding it.
Fans only working on 4 - very common - in one case it was the resistor pack inside the fan unit - another it was the connector on the side of the fan unit. If its the resistor pack you can just replace the thermal fuse on the side of it.
Drivers window struggling to come up - the guides near the bottom sometime rust squeezing the rubber window guide together.(remove rubber - clear out rust to reduce squeeze) otherwise apply some silicon grease to the central runner.
Currently in gadget_nt's garage:
1995 renault espace
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome