Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise/Vibration*fixed*

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 25th February 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise/Vibration*fixed*

I have a Scenic II dCi 120 (November 2003) with 76K miles.

Since I bought it last August (at 66K, ex-Renault fleet from CarGiant), it's always had a vibration when the front suspension is compressed (eg. going into a dip), and the steering wheel vibrates more than it should.

Then yesterday morning it started making a loud mid-range metallic clonking sound from the front left over bumps, particularly when turning right. This morning it was OK at first, but then started clonking again after ~20 miles.

I had a look underneath and nothing is obviously loose or falling off, the wheel nuts are tight, and the steering and handling doesn't seem to be affected (other than a slight pull to the left which it's always had).

I plan to call the local dealer (Waters in St Albans) in the morning and guilt them into letting me jump the service queue and bring it in for a check-up (only car, safety issue, barely out of warranty (cough), 3-year-old kid etc.).

That said, I'm also wondering if it might just be the shocks (or one, at least), given the mileage (and the delay in the noise appearing, perhaps as the shock warms up), and I might just be better off taking it to a Kwik-fit or equivalent (which I suspect will be cheaper than the dealer, given that it IS out of warranty).

Any thoughts welcome (especially from psychic mechanics).
Currently in simoneves's garage:
2003 Renault Scenic II 1.9dCi 120 Dynamique
  5 Lastest Threads by simoneves
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
1.9dCi Check Injection/Injection Fault -... Engines AO55RKE 28 31166 12th March 2007 07:41 PM
Renault Scenic - Front Suspension... Scenic Deadslow 13 15520 25th February 2007 04:44 PM
Renault Scenic - Indicators Cancelling Too Soon Electronics 25 6385 8th September 2006 12:30 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome