Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - At what year do MK1 Lags stop rusting?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 21st February 2014 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
At what year do MK1 Lags stop rusting?

I've tried google but had no success. Does anyone happen to have any info on what year Renault started galvanizing chassies? I know that early lags rust notoriously, mostly at the wheel arches and whatnot, but PH2 models and even some of the pre-facelift cars don't seem to rust at all (or at least nearly never...). I seem to notice a tendency that if the car has the newly styled Laguna logo on the back, it's not prone to rust even if it doesn't have the facelift bumpers and interior. Could anyone chime in on wether this theory of mine stands correct?

I've got a chance to snag a car with a busted transmission for next to nothing and I've been meaning to do a custom car out of a Lag 1 estate for a while. There's no rust on the chassis anywhere, but I'd like to ID somehow wether it belongs to the rusty or rust-free generation before buying.

Cheers guys!
Currently in R_Lagoon's garage:
1999 Renault Laguna Grandtour 1.6 16V RXT (now with leather seats and sat nav!) and lots of arcades under restoration
  5 Lastest Threads by R_Lagoon
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
K4m engine oil sensor Electronics lancs dave 1 147 13th May 2016 01:56 PM
Air conditioning display repair Lag1 Electronics R_Lagoon 0 207 19th September 2015 04:36 PM
K4M Laguna 1 won't fire after engine swap? Electronics ours2012 11 616 12th September 2015 08:55 PM
K4M mis/backfire problem, someone experienced... Engines R_Lagoon 19 1540 26th July 2015 08:35 PM
At what year do MK1 Lags stop rusting? Bodywork R_Lagoon 8 1526 21st February 2014 10:34 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome