Independent Renault Forums banner

Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise/Vibration*fixed*

27K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Deadslow 
#1 ·
I have a Scenic II dCi 120 (November 2003) with 76K miles.

Since I bought it last August (at 66K, ex-Renault fleet from CarGiant), it's always had a vibration when the front suspension is compressed (eg. going into a dip), and the steering wheel vibrates more than it should.

Then yesterday morning it started making a loud mid-range metallic clonking sound from the front left over bumps, particularly when turning right. This morning it was OK at first, but then started clonking again after ~20 miles.

I had a look underneath and nothing is obviously loose or falling off, the wheel nuts are tight, and the steering and handling doesn't seem to be affected (other than a slight pull to the left which it's always had).

I plan to call the local dealer (Waters in St Albans) in the morning and guilt them into letting me jump the service queue and bring it in for a check-up (only car, safety issue, barely out of warranty (cough), 3-year-old kid etc.).

That said, I'm also wondering if it might just be the shocks (or one, at least), given the mileage (and the delay in the noise appearing, perhaps as the shock warms up), and I might just be better off taking it to a Kwik-fit or equivalent (which I suspect will be cheaper than the dealer, given that it IS out of warranty).

Any thoughts welcome (especially from psychic mechanics).

See less See more
#2 ·
Called Waters this morning and they said bring it in at 2pm. I asked to go out on the test drive too, but after waiting a while I saw my car drive off without me... (sigh)

After half an hour, the conclusion was that there was a "slight noise" (obviously they didn't drive down my street!) and that it was probably the shock absorber or "something on top of the shock absorber" (whatever the hell that means) but they said they'd checked it out on a lift and nothing was obviously falling off or broken.

So... any recommendations for new shock absorbers, please?

...or at least a second opinion which won't cost me 85 quid/hour plus VAT (overheard at the service desk... yikes)

I've been out of the country for six years, so my knowledge of the relative merits of Kwik-fit type places is minimal...

#4 ·
with regards to shocks if they were at fault you would have to replace both sides not just one also you mentioned pulling to left have you ever got that checked out as that could be sign of wear in lower arms which is also shock related they make noise when worn clonking sound might be worth having that checked out
the thing at the top of shock is a rubber mounting which unsure but could cause that sure someone will advise

#5 · (Edited)
suspension clunk

This sounds like a broken spring - they have a habit of breaking at the lower end which can't be easily seen - you nedd to reach in and feel to see of the the lower end has come adrift. I live in Northern Ireland where we have a very strict MOT and I have seen vehicles with broken front springs pass unoticed. - Its only the very ends that breaks and the height of of car barely changes - but all the same it tends to cause a noisy ratttle especially when cornering or going over speed ramps. Even the best mechanics have missed this fault at times. If it rattles doing a right turn its more likely to be the front left side.

#7 ·
on my previous '00 Scenic, one of the rear shocks 'snapped' inside after hiting a small pothole and made a similar noise when cornering. Mileage was around 70k. There was absolutly nothing visibly worn looking at the outside of the unit or even on the ramp with wheels dangling and levered up and down.

Cost 160 quid to replace both shocks at an independent garage.

#8 ·
Took it to VP Autos in Hemel Hempstead today. They replaced all four shocks (the front left one was completely ¤¤¤¤ged) and did the brake pads too, and for 2/3rds of the quote from Waters Renault in St Albans.

Top marks to VP Autos, and the car is as good as new...

...well, apart from the continuous "Check Injection" message and associated occasional stalling, and the airbag cable under the driver's seat which comes loose once a week... maybe next month!

#9 ·
Re: Renault Scenic - Front Suspension Noise / graunching

Hi.
I have a 2005 Scenic with a graunching noise on the drivers side when I go over a road hump.

To date I have had the lower arm and top suspension mount replaced n the drivers side and this has not resolved the noise.

I was also told it was the Anti roll bar D bushes, and after purchasing them I was told it was the Top Suspension mount, so i got the mount replaced but still making noise.

Do you think it could be Anti Roll Bar D Bushes? and if so is it easy for a DIYer to fit or is it a garage only job and roughly how much?

Many thanks
Glenn

#10 ·
Hi,

Antiroll bar bushes or droplinks usually rattle when they start to wear and just get progressively louder over time. Driving over a rough road would convince someone who didn't know that the front wheels were in imminent danger of falling off! It really is that loud. If you have a graunching noise I can't see that being arb related but I stand to be corrected by anyone who knows better.

#11 ·
the car is 5 years old!
start looking to get the springs changed before they really fail and take out the tyre and alloy.

speed humps luv to kill springs. springs luv to kill alloys and tyres.
europoarts for spares. (about £40 a corner)

#12 ·
Hi, check out the upper engine mounting (rh side of engine). If you can squeeze a finger (or anything) between the top of the rubber and the underside of the black metal cover then the mounting has collapsed. This cured the similar vibration on my car. Downside is that the cheapest mounting I could find was £84 incl postage....upside was that it only took mr 1 hour to change!

#13 ·
Hi there, Can you let me know what year and phase scenic you have please ? I have a squeeky type noise coming from the front of my 2007 mk2 phase2scenic, but it only happens when I go over speed bumps. You say as quoted above that you changed the top engine mount and stopped a squeeky noise. Do you mean the engine mounting that is located on the drivers side and connected to engine around the cam case cover ? Would you let me know please as someone has suggested antiroll bar bushes but apparently its a lot of work to fix this problem.
Thanks in advance
ski

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.