Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Recommended Scuff repair products?

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 26th February 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
scuff marks

Drat these pesky scuff marks!! Heres a few ideas - firstly wash and clean the area first and then gently polish the area with a rubing compound (most motor factors can supply)- be careful this stuff is fairly powerful and if you rub too much you can actually tske the top layer of paint off - its much coarser that T-cut or brasso - this may actually buff some if not all of the marks out. Next step is to polish it with a T-cut this will help remove most of the swirl marks left by the compound. If scores are still left you could try filling it with a similar coloured wax crayon. Heat the area with a hair dryer and rub the crayon in a circular motion to fill the scratches. Then finish off with a suitable coloured polish - apply at least 2 coats and leave to dry for an hour or so - then polish off. Otherwise it is a paintjob - if your cars red you may be able to raid her makeup case.
P.S. There are a number of coloured polishes on the market that come with their own coloured wax crayon suppled - I have used one on my car - but as it's black I resorted to black shoe polish! LOL. In my experience Halfords don't seem to keep a good choice and I've always found motor factors that bit better - after all they supply the second hand motor trade - who use this type of stuff on a regular basis. Another idea would be to contact one of the companies that offer a scratch removal service - theres one were I live called "Colorworks". Try yellow pages! Good luck
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome