Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Police may check crash drivers' mobile records

View Single Post
post #2 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Truckbusuk View Post
See here .... after an accident (not just fatalities) it is proposed to allow the police to check your mobile phone records.

Cops may check crash drivers' mobile records | The Register

About time they got tough ... this and the new fines mentioned in another thread for hand helds is progress in my book.

Why is it expensive cars and rep mobiles that appear to be the worst offenders (my opinion) .... if you must get a hands free kit .... they dont cost that much and it means you can have both hands on the wheel ..... if you can pay for the car, then you can pay for the phone kit .....
I too am still seeing far too many idiots driving along with a phone clasped to their ear, and I really do hope these people get hit with fines and points left, right and centre. What worries me about the new proposals is that even responsible hands-free mobile use will result in the blame automatically landing on the driver if their phone records show that they were on a call at the time.

The next step will be a load of statistics that 'prove' how dangerous even hands-free mobile use is. And of course if they assume by default that any accident involving mobile phone use was caused by the conversation, those stats may prove pretty compelling.

The next thing you know, there'll be an outright ban on mobiles while driving. For those of us who can't do our jobs without, we'll end up breaking the law and probably not even bothering to use hands-free. Personally, if this law comes into effect, I'll be swapping my works mobile for a 'Pay as you Go' that I won't be registering in my name
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome