Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Police may check crash drivers' mobile records

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Truckbusuk View Post
Good point Horatio .... maybe there should be a total ban when driving ... cant see it working though.

Personally I also cant see much difference in having a handsfree discussion and talking to your passenger ... but a phone user will get made the scapegoat regardless of blame I fear .... the next 6 mths or so will be interesting.

From personal experience, I know mobile phone conversations can be distracting. It really depends on the conversation. If someone's just chatting or arranging a meeting then that's one thing. If they're asking you to concentrate on a problem and work out a solution, then that requires a lot more concentration. I've never had a near miss while on the phone, but I've come close to missing my motorway exit, and once found myself on a roundabout with no idea of which exit I was supposed to be taking. I also missed spotting an obvious speed camera on the A13 a few months back because I was talking on the phone. I'm not disputing the fact that it's distracting.

But I for one really couldn't do my job anything like as efficiently without one. I can't afford to be out of touch if I'm on the road all day, which I often am. I can still recall the incident that prompted me to get my first mobile. I'd just installed some new software at a site, run what I thought were the necessary tests, checked that it was up and running fine and then left. An hour later, I got home, only to discover that they'd found a serious problem with it five minutes after I left. I had to turn around and go back. If I'd had a mobile, that problem would have cost me ten minutes. As it was, it cost me two hours.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome