Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Police may check crash drivers' mobile records

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Mobile phone

Hi - I don't believe a driver could be convicted on the records of using his phone -but could be used to support evidence provided by a witness - like the poor driver or pedestrian (or cop) who has been clobbered by some dimwhit who insists ot phoning whilst driving. In this case I think it would be accepted. I know of an instance where a driver was sitting a traffic lights minding his own business -then wham - he looked in his rear view mirror and yeh the person who slammed into him had the phone jammmed under their chin (no wonder he couldn't see where he was going - DOH!!). When police arrived on the scene the injured party clearly stated to the police the other driver was seen using his phone - but guess what the other driver denied doing so. In this case it was one persons word against the other - so you could see phone records would have supported the evidence in this evidence. Talking on a phone whilst driving is nowhere the same as holding a converstaion with a passenger. Passengers in the car are fully aware of what is going on at the time and would realise if the driver either stopped taliking or ignored them - the person on the other end of the phone wouldn't be aware of what is going on. Would you like to be in a airplane if the pilot was on the phone discussing his love-life during landing -I think NOT - (I hear you say). Recently I was with a driver who insisted in using her phone whilst driving and in all honesty I never heard as much unnecessary drivel be discussed (new make-up and colour of lipstick was the tone of the converstaion). I spoke to the owner of a small local delivery company and asked him did he supply his drivers with phones and hand-free kits and he said "Of course how else could I do business - I asked if his business or delivery times had improved as a result and guess what "No". He went on to explain that prior to mobile phones - his staff had to plan their daily work schedules but when the holy mobile arrived - they could just faff about and tended to chap and change as they went So I don't think the mobile phone hasn't really improved our daily lives as much as we think it has.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome