Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Laguna 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 23rd February 2014
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Renault Laguna 2 - Heater Fan Not Working*FIXED*

A couple of days ago I found myself with the fan packed up as it not blowing even though the digital display indicated it was. I looked at various threads and took the fan motor out of the housing to find that the fins (looks like a hamster wheel) was barely able to turn. I tried to take the blower unit apart, but it beat me. I managed to get the end cap off (there are about 4-5 lugs that need to be prised with a small flat bladed screwdriver), but that was it. However, in trying to shift the plastic fins (hamster wheel) off the spindle I dislodged a whole load of rusty dust and other crud. The technique was that I held the fins (spindle upwards) and my wife used a hammer and centre punch on the end of the spindle. She tapped it fairly solidly, but the fan never budged off the spindle. I guess the shock-wave of the blows was enough to free the fan as simply after that effort the fins spun more freely. I then decided to go for it and squirted a small amount of GT85 (similar to WD40) on the back end of the electric motor. I put it all back together and it works!! On full power it does now sound a bit like a Spitfire as I guess I've unbalanced the fins so they rotate eccentrically - but it is working a lot better and since it is 10 years old I'm happy to get it going.

Whilst I was about it, I took the pollen filter out. Clearly that was the first time it had seen the light of day! I gave it a good hoover and put it back and will see about getting a new one.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome