Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Police may check crash drivers' mobile records

View Single Post
post #13 of (permalink) Old 27th February 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Yeh see what your trying to say but it sounds like a lame excuse for using a phone whilst driving - your reasoning appears to be somewhat flawed - if it reduces your ability to perceive hazards then it must affect your abilty to respond - if you don't see it - you can't respond to it. Safe driving is not just about being able to react to a situation its about perceiving any given situation and the abilty to read the road ahead. Ask any professional driver - preferably someone from Formula 1 who makes a living from it.
Exactly my point. I'm not saying that using the phone while driving is safe and I'm only defending it on the basis that it's a practical necessity in this day and age. I believe that it doesn't affect my ability to respond to an emergency, but it does affect my ability to predict one. That in itself makes me less safe when I'm on the phone than when I'm off it, though it still takes either a freak event or someone else's stupidity to turn that into an accident.

I could pretend I'm the perfect driver, that I have 100% concentration for 100% of the time, but to be honest, I gave up on all that crap when I left Usenet. I accept that I'm just Mr Average behind the wheel. I know there are better drivers, but I also know from experience that there are much, much worse.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 27th February 2007 at 04:29 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome