Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Petrol is petrol is petrol, or is it?

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2007
Veteran Member
Technical Supremo
Fishing the Sea Champion
Nominated 1 Time in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 11
Originally Posted by newren1 View Post
Having read the above replies, I would confirm that quite a few outlets get their fuel from the same depots. I have a Laguna 1.8 16v and find that using the higher grade does give a slightly better fuel consumption. There would be no point in using this in say 1.2 8v engine or any low compression ones.
It was mentioned that the Espace engine pinkered the actual term is pinking, but that apart no engine management system if working correctly would allow this. I would suspect that the anti knocking senser is at fault.
Hi i had "pinking" last year and having a diagnostic test done no error code came back i did change my fuel from Tesco to shell and after a few hundred miles this did disappear so i put it down to fuel.My car is also chipped and fitted with a air induction kit with a electronic turbo so i think that my car would most definitely be sensitive to bad fuel i also drove a Merc C180 Classic and this also done this with Tesco fuels for sure.

I do know that the biggest problem with pinking is air fuel mixture but i also went back to my local superchip dealer because i thought thats what the problem was but checks came as no so thats when i changed fuel and all seals and air related pipe were all also checked iam sorry but i have to disagree this time to say it is the fuel.
Currently in Donald's garage:
2005 Mercedes Benz C200 Classic SE Kompresser & 1998 Fiat Cinquecento Fire Sporting,some may say i could do far better?,i say i could do far worse.

Last edited by Donald; 28th February 2007 at 09:08 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome