Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - How to change front discs and pads(with pics)

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 28th February 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Replacing discs and pads

Excellent post Laggy - very well explained. I have done this job numerous times and I would like to add a few extra tips. Winding the caliper piston back in should be done very slowly and gently - ensuring you don't damage the edges or face of the piston. I use an old G-clamp (the type joiners use) and place one of the old pads (lining side against the piston) between the clamp and piston - this ensures the piston is pushed back straight with no risk of the piston being displaced sideways. Gradually turning the screw in the clamp provides enough pressure and prevents damaged knuckles. On cars with ABS and other electronic systems it is best to open the bleeder when retracting the piston - doing it this way minimises any risk to the controls systems. When going this far in replacing pads and discs I would advise the brake fluid be changed. - most car manufacturers recommendations vary - anything from 1-3 years. Vauxhall used to state at least every year. I'll maybe put up a post on this procedure - if asked. Otherwise a truly excellent demo - well done!
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome