Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Reversed into. What damage done?

View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 3rd March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Just look over the rear of the car carefully in daylight, and (if you haven't already tried it) make sure the boot still opens and closes properly, and that the gaps on each side (shut lines) look sensible.

Other than that, any damage will be cosmetic, so if you can't see any, then there isn't a problem. Generally speaking, it takes a fairly solid hit to actually distort any of the car's components. I've had the driver behind roll into the back of my car before now, and definitely felt the impact from the driver's seat, but there's been absolutely no damage.

If you really want to be sure, then get a good bright torch, lie on the floor (I hope it's not raining where you are) and get your head right under the bumper. If it's like our 04 Clio, then the bumper is held on mainly by two large white plastic mouldings. Check those for signs of stress, distortion or damage. Also check the bodywork under there for signs of distortion. I don't think the Clio suffers from the problem, but some cars (e.g. early Mondeos) will happily break the bumper mounts without showing any signs of cosmetic damage to the bumper. Apparently that's why you used to see so many Mondeos flying down the motorway with their back bumpers wobbling like demented jellies.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome