Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Espace 3.0 Dci Initiale 2005

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 4th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Also got an Espace Initiale

I own a Espace Initiale but mine is a 2.0 Turbo automatic.
I agree with other members who say it is well specced but it may help you watch out for certain things if mine is typical of the breed.
You will have read about blown turbos on the forum but this is not just reserved for the diesels. Mine is petrol and I am on my third turbo . Each time it has gone in to be fixed, it has taken two weeks to be done because the garage has to keep getting the parts in and the whole front end has to be removed to get the engine out.
From new it had a recall because the front subframe needed to be tightened to the body properly and also another recall because the heater had some sort of factory fault. Even today the climate control does not work as you would like. If you set the temp to 22'C, all the sensors are supposed to keep the temp at this level whatever the weather. On mine, you have to set it to 26'C in order for it to warm up and then keep changing it up and down until you get the temp you would like. The garage has told me they feel the heater is working ok when they have checked it out! The heated seats come on for a bit when it's really cold but then go off on their own accord. I would guess this is the seat's thermostat kicking in but sometimes they stay on if they feel like it.
You may experience the rear door or rear window not wanting to "catch" when you close them occasionally. This is due to the electronic locks. On mine, the lock has closed on its own and so when you shut the door it won't "catch". The way to fix this is to press the button for the window or handle for the door to release the lock and it will then close as normal.
My car has done about 47,000 miles and is on its third set of tyres on the front. These last about 19,000miles and the backs are on their second set. Mine is a company car but Kwik Fit said their full price are about 150 each.
If you are going to use it to tow a caravan, it is brilliant and pulls one very easily.
I do a lot of town and rural driving and not much motorway stuff and my average mpg is 18.5 mpg. The best I have seen on a run driving below 70mph was 25.7. This makes a joke of the official figures. The combined for mine is supposed to be about 26.1. This is my biggest gripe about the car as my petrol bills are diabolical.
Another tip is to make sure you have the latest sat nav disc as mentioned many times on this site. I took the advice given and Renault let me have one free by return of post.
Also, I have had stones from the road smash the glass on both foglights. You cannot get the glass separately and have to have the whole light fitted which cost me about 100 each time. I also broke my passenger door mirror and a new one was 36.

Finally, the good stuff - it still is the best car I have owned and I love driving it. The garage gives me a Clio as a courtesy car when mine's in for work and the Espace is a far easier car to drive.
I love the cruise control which works at 30mph (Try that with a C8!). You can just set the speed and it keeps you from having to look at your speedo all the time. Plus, being digital, the speedo is so easy to read.
The Carbasse hi-fi is very good and I also love the electronic handbrake and the fact I can keep the key card in my wallet and still start the engine. Also, you just walk away from the car and it locks itself and you just pull the handle and it unlocks. The automatic wipers and lights are great, as is the rear view mirror which dims when someone has their headlights glaring behind you at night.
I am completely sold on the reversing sensors as they are so useful. I paid an extra 400 for the rear privacy glass and this combined with the all round rear sunblinds are a boon in summer.
Hopefully, these comments will help you to like your car as much as I do mine and best wishes in your ownership.
Currently in Iskan's garage:
2004 Renault Espace IV Initiale 2.0Turbo
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome