Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna purchase

Thread: Laguna purchase
View Single Post
post #3 of (permalink) Old 27th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
I'm not a big fan of the Carminat system that's fitted to the car you're considering, but it's a usable system and all of its quirks are quite bearable.

On this class and era of car, I doubt you'll find factory-fit sat-nav with the features you're looking for. All the ones I've seen have had the 'twiddle-click' interface and postcode search still seems to be pretty much exclusive to some of the more recent portable units even now.

I was never particularly happy with Carminat's choice of routing between some locations, to the point where I'd plan a route from Town A to Town B myself and only trust Carminat to find the street address once I got there. It would usually get it right, but was quite capable of adding an hour to a journey when it got it wrong.

But it's worth having for 'address finding' alone - it's not perfect, but it's damned useful. If you're considering the car purely for the sat-nav, then buy something a bit lower spec and a bit cheaper and spend the change on a TomTom. On the other hand, if the sat-nav is just the icing on the cake, then go for it.

The standard CD for the full screen Carminat system provides street level coverage of the UK and Eire along with major routes and towns in Europe. If you want street level coverage for Europe, you have to buy additional CDs, and they're not cheap.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome