Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Reversed into. What damage done?

View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 5th March 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,201 Times in 4,712 Posts
Rear end damage

Yeh it could probably be repainted assuming the cracks are only in the paint but once plastic has been stressed beyond its point of elasticity it will suffer internal stresses which at this stage cannot be seen by the naked eye. Eventually these stresses can develop into fracture lines. I have seen plastic bumpers repainted after damage only for the cracks to reappear sometime later. Most good insurance assessors will not accept bumper repairs but will insist on a full new replacement bumper as supplied by the original manufacturer. With most modern cars the full extent of the damage can only be assessed by removing the bumper and inspected the body panels behind it. Additionally the cost of painting a bumper is somewhat more expensive that a metal body panel as the paint needs special additives (adhesion promoters, plasticisers, etc.) to prevent the paint from cracking or falling off. It is was mine I wouldn't faff about - do it through the insurers - if its not your fault what you got to worry about. Hurray for the old metal bumper along with its chrome over-riders, etc - but oh! - were they heavy and rust and corrosion became a problem.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome