Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Scenic front lower suspension balljoint

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 6th March 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,200 Times in 4,712 Posts
Ball Joint

Hi Paul Hutchy - yeh they can be an absolute pain at times (those pesky pinchbolts) - they are made from a fairly soft but tough steel - this is to reduce the risk of cracking and metal fatigue as you can appreciate it is subjected to a lot of shock and vibration. Yeh the torque seems to be quite low as overtightening will only stretch it - which in itself will create further stresses. Thats why it is always recommended this bolt be replaced each time it is used - similar to cylinder head bolts which are a use-once only type. I have looked through my Haynes manual for the Clio and I notice the recommended torque setting is 55Nm or 41 lb/ft. So your settings seem to be quite similar and remember the settings are for a new bolt. From what you say it seems like someone before you has done a butcher job on it and probably bent it trying to get the bolt in - obviously bending it cos it wasn't aligned - that's why it is important to have everything nice and clean during assembly. Good Luck
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome