Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #258 of (permalink) Old 7th March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Funny that. I tend not to get too badly hassled when I'm towing the 'van. As I said much earlier in this thread, I think most people would prefer to be behind a caravan that's legally limited to 50 than an artic that's legally limited to 40 and leaves you on the wrong side of the road for much longer when you do finally overtake.

Having said that, I've been overtaken by a couple of artics on single carriageway A-roads when I've had the cruise set at 50. Naughty naughty!

One frustrating thing when towing a 'van is being stuck behind a much slower vehicle, unable to overtake, knowing full well that the driver behind you can't see past the big white box and is assuming that you're the idiot that's holding up the traffic.

Anyway, while we're back on the subject of motoring annoyances...

The people who'll do anything to get in front of you (generally taking the wrong lane at junctions and then cutting in) only to suddenly decide they're going to stop and turn right, holding up all of the people they've just overtaken. We have a junction near our house where that happens a lot - the left hand lane is left turn only, but some idiots use it to jump the queue of traffic going straight on in the right hand lane. When they then stop to turn right 100 yards down the road, I feel like getting out and strangling them

Oh and people who don't realise that you can enter and stop on a box junction if you're turning right and your exit is clear. I've seen some muppets sit through several changes of lights just because there's heavy oncoming traffic.

On the positive side, I have noticed that indicator discipline at junctions seems to have improved no end. I'm seeing a lot less of the morons who sit in the right hand lane (signed for right and straight on) without their indicators on, and then pull out to turn right (sometimes indicating once they're in the actual junction.) It still happens, but nowhere near as much as it used to. It's particularly annoying at double sets of lights when you're planning on turning right at the second set. Whichever lane you choose, it can prove to be the wrong one. You have to choose between risking getting stuck behind the unannounced right turner, or risking being boxed in by the people going straight on in the right hand lane. It's damned annoying when you get it wrong.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome