Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Spraying Door Mirror - Help Required!

View Single Post
post #7 of (permalink) Old 8th March 2007 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 4 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by espaced? View Post
i've got the same operation to do on our espace.

Have you took the old one off yet?

i havent looked how to do it yet.
Espaced, I haven't taken the old mirror off yet, but I think it's held on by a few torx screws under the bonnet and some (usually 3) behind the triangle bit of the front window.

Once it is off, the covers are held onto the mounting by a million small torx screws. If I remember correctly, you need to remove the glass, and remove the screws behind it to gat the mirror cover off... careful though as there is one screw that is not clearly visible and so you might be tempted to force the cover of and break it.

With the cover off, you can then remove the 2nd half of the cover. This also has one hidden screw which is even more difficult to access as you have to prise it open to see it and gain acess to it, although you don't have to remove this screw completely, just loosen it.

Yoou have to 'manouver' this part of the cover off over the mirror bit BUT it won't come off until you take off the motor behind the mirror (a further 3 screws). Hope that helps.

I'd love to say 'refitting is the reverse to removal' but I haven't got that far yet

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Hi Tazzy - you didn't say it was already painted. The most likely problem is that is was polished using a car polish and most will contain silicone - thats probably where the prob started. All the rubbing down in the world won't shift the darn stuff - it needs to be cleaned first -before attempting any work. Give it a goood heating up with a hairdryer a few times that will ensure the paint is hard right through - you can then start from scratch - prime it first ensure it is hardened - rub down very lightly with 400 or finer paper and then apply colour coat ,building it up in layers until it looks even in colour and texture. When hardened apply the laquer coat again take you time - spray on in light coats building it up until you have a nice finish - resist the temptation to lay it on thick - it will only run. Warning do not rub down the colour coat before applying laquer. I know it can be a long slow process for the DIY'er. We dont have the equipment or the accelerators available to the profesional. Paintin gin a warm dry atmospere wil make it much, much easier.
Thanks for that madnoel.... so I DEFINITELY don't rub the last coat down before lacquering it? I didn't think I should, but I'm almost certain thats what the bodyshop guy did / told me when he sprayed my bonnet on my other car.

Also, do i rub down between lacquer coats?
Currently in TazzyK's garage:
Renault Clio 1.4 16v Privilege (2004), Renault Megane 1.5 dCi 106 Expression (2005), Volkswagon Passat 2.0 TDi S (2006), Alfa Romeo 159 2.4 JTDm QTronic Lusso (2008)
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome