Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Does anyone know?

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 8th March 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Does anyone know?

Hello, my first post hoping someone can help .

My girlfriend has lost her keys to her clio it is a Mreg which makes it a 94 - 95 i guess? 1.9 diesel. i dont know what Mark it is except it looks like this one (balck one at top) [URL[/URL] except hers has square headlights not rounded at one corner which i think this one has?.

LINK DONT WORK so please look in MY MOTTAH section under MY BATTERED CLIO.

She rang up her local Renault dealership and the said as long it has its original locks then they can get a copy from france in five days for £140 .

I suggested she rings up the garage where she gets her MOTs done and they gave her the number of a locksmith and he said he would come to her and put new locks on and do two new keys for £100.

The problem is Renault say that there is a chip in the key which has to be coded or the car wont work.

But the locksmith says the car is old and does not need a coded key.

Dont know if this helps: but when she got the car it only came with one key it has the blipper built on to the end of the key not seperate and has a red led in it.

As far as we can tell the blipper only locks and unlocks the car as it does not always work so she uses the key as a normal key and the car starts fine.

There is a immobilizer but you have to use a seperate small brass key in a lock in the roof of the glovebox it is a pain so she does not use it.

So what we are wondering is:

Are Renault lying about the key does it need coding/chipping or could we get a blank key from somewhere else cheap and not code it?.

Is the locksmith right is the car so old that you dont need a coded key and would £100 be about right for a new set of locks and keys and how easy is the job?.

If the key does need coding/chipping could the locksmith do the locks and we just take the key to Renault for coding as it would cost a lot to truck the car as well to the dealers?

Is there anyway to tell if they are original factory locks and not that one of the previous 4 or 5 owners has had them changed?.

P.S. If the key needs to be coded for the door lock plipper or other periphirals then dont worry as she just need the car back CHEAP and can live without the toys also she needs the car urgently so any ideas or help would be great .
Currently in stomp's garage:

Last edited by stomp; 8th March 2007 at 04:14 PM.
  5 Lastest Threads by stomp
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Getting like buses this Cars & motoring stomp 8 1570 21st March 2007 06:13 PM
Does anyone know? Cars & motoring Lagdti 8 1518 8th March 2007 04:06 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome