Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #535 of (permalink) Old 8th March 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Right all.....firstly, hello from sunny and warm Cyprus!

I've received a letter from Hugh Edwards @ VOSA - in reply to my recent correspondence back to VOSA - outlining my concerns in the approach that they have "completed" their investigations...

Can't go into details (mainly as I can't recall them specifically), but the long and short of it, is that VOSA still do not think they have done anything wrong.....

They have completed 2 inspections on damaged cars and they have indicated that once "banged back" into shape, the bonnet appeared to connect correctly with the catch mechanism - and even with 2 man-power worth of force, they were unable to release the bonnet on either the main or safety catch. They indicated that the apparent release was due to the safety catch not being "engaged" - 1000 catches replicated this same stand (safety catch "not engaged"!??) - they blamed that the bonnet was not "closed properly" (where have we heard this before, hmmmm....let me think!! [*sarcastic*]). I think they also forgot one thing, it happened once on that particular car - so "something" went wrong. So to summarise, they concluded on two cases that there is a chance that the "safety catch" is not always engaged (if it is not-maintained (although Renault implied in an earlier letter - that the catches are self-pertuating and do not not require any form of maintenance!) - hmmm....a contradiction!?

They also did a further 5 inspections, 3 of VOSA employees and 2 other cars - and no issue were found (no details on background of the cars, and condition etc - so unsure on validity of these - we need the technical reports really...i.e. age of car, status at inspection (were the cars "just serviced" by Renault?).

This brings the number of "analysis" (inspection) that VOSA has completed to the magic 10 - yes just 10 vehicles (not the first 2 aren't counted - as no VOSA inspection completed!):
  • 2 damaged car report inspected (no VOSA inspections completed).
  • 3 spot checks on "serviced" cars at the local Renault dealership - no issue identified.
  • 2 inspections on damaged cars - safety catch was stiff and not engaged, but issue was down to closing the bonnet! (BURNING QUESTION >>> how would one know the safety is not engaged?) - need VOSA to let me know the answer!
  • 5 further inspectons (undamaged cars) - no issue reported.

Thoughts please! I've already drafted my response - but before including here, thought I'd open it to the floor

Astronishment really!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 9th March 2007 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Original typed too early in the morning
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome