Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Drain Hole Abyss!!!!

View Single Post
post #30 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
I spent a couple of days on my rear foot well leak. Here's what I found.
The front drain holes were blocked. Curtain wire didn't unblock, so I used a 'drain cleaner' spring, with a handle one end and an expanded section of spring that acts as a drill on the other. I was able to dig into, then pull out the blockage after a few attempts. Even unblocked, it doesn't take much water to flood over the sunroof frame and out through the courtesy light and remote sensor. Now the central locking started to fail, so I removed the remote sensor (slide the panel forward) to find that it was underwater - the black housing was acting like a mini swimming pool.
Central locking now fixed, I tested the rear drain holes with a trickling hose. The drain holes are located at the end of the outer channel in the sunroof frame. You can rod the drain holes by sliding the curtain wire down this channel. Water was dripping out from under the car at various spots in front and behind the rear wheel arch (odd?). I could also see the rear foot well getting wet. I pulled the rear door seal off to reveal a stream of water coming down the inner edge of the door frame, underneath the plastic door sill and into the foot well. I released the roof lining. Water was descending the outside of the drainpipe.
Perhaps I was flooding the rear drain holes, and like at the front, water was leaking over the top of the frame. Perhaps the blocked front drain holes were overloading the rears. Or perhaps the rears ARE blocked. Its too early to tell with this weather if the leak is fixed. Foot well is still wet despite many copies of the Sunday Times. However the inside of the roof lining seems dry. I intend to get some thin tubing and a funnel to do a better test on the rear drain holes!
Currently in alecd's garage:
'96 Laguna Est petrol
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome