Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II - Engines - Intermittent starting problems Fixed TDC sensor

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 9th March 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Renault Clio II - Engines - Intermittent starting problems Fixed TDC sensor

I have an '03 1.4i Clio, 29,500 miles, and over the past few months have had intermittant difficulity in starting it.

The car was fine then started running rough, i.e. on three cylinders. I changed the plugs as a first step as they had done about 26,000 miles. I couldn't find the same plugs that were fitted (Champion RC87YCL) so bought some NGK ones that were recommended as equivalent. Replacing the plugs made no difference. Car went in to garage where an ignition coil was diagnosed as the problem and problem cleared.
Since then I have sometimes had difficulty in starting the car. It will turn over and over but will not fire, sometimes it will start at second attempt sometimes third, sometimes you have to walk away and come back ten minutes later and try to start it. Most times it starts first time with no problem but does seem to tick over a little rough for the first few seconds.
The car runs great when started.

Wondered if anyone had any ideas? My first thought is that the NGK plugs that I have used might not be quite matched to the car.
I have also read a bit of stuff about the TDC switch causing problems on starting but don't know enough really.

Any help appreciated.
Currently in rods16's garage:
'03 Clio 1.4i
  5 Lastest Threads by rods16
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
mpg following coil change Engines rods16 4 1138 1st October 2008 11:42 AM
Renault Clio II - Replacing Ignition Coils Engines rods16 5 4633 3rd September 2008 08:09 PM
Renault Clio II - Engines - Intermittent starting... Clio chris m 9 10214 9th March 2007 01:18 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome