Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #545 of (permalink) Old 10th March 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Right all, I've stumbled upon something with our recent chats and discussions.

VOSA and Renault have simply looked at the post-incident cases right? They have looked at the conditions of the catches right? All this proves is that something was potentially wrong with the catch mechanism (maintenance, performance related - or specific to the state of the main/safety catch (i.e. safety catch "not engaged")). Are we clear so far?

Right here's the magic question - has either organisation actually attempted to "replicate" the various potential causes, i.e. create test scenario's and test it with a physical car. AND then look at the evidence post-tests?

This is far more scientific then simply trying to tug at a bonnet and say yet them "seems secure to me", or assuming a report / assessment completed by the manufacture is sound!

VOSA have simply shown that the VSB are not able to complete any such replications - for some reason. Their role seems to be (although I am unclear on this) to investigate post-incident cases! Maybe we are dealing with the wrong department of VOSA then?

An example, when they test cars roll-bars or seat-belts, or child-seats performance - they "replicate" this in a controlled environment. This was what we should expect. I cannot believe this point was staring us in the face for all this time and has not been raised yet!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome