Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #550 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Thanks for the additional viewpoint Vass20 - appreciate it!

The point I was making actually related to the "four" scenario's of logical state that a 2-catch system operates within - like binary really --> 11, 10, 01, 00, okay for those who don't like Binary or Mathematically reasoning, here it is in plain-English:
  • Both Main and Safety catch engaged
  • Main catch engaged, safety catch not engaged
  • Main catch not engaged, safety catch engaged
  • Neither Main or Safety catch enabled

Point 2 is what seems to be the case for the majority of cases - i.e. the safety catch was left in the "open position" - which is what Watchdog, ourselves, independent reports, AA/RAC and anyone else who has currently looked into the case. Point 4 is what Renault have implied by saying the bonnet wasn't closed properly (unfounded, IMHO!)

What VOSA/Renault do not see is something which Renault have implied in their earlier correspondence! Firstly, the main and safety catch operates independently from one another. So if a safety catch is not deployed, why did the main catch release itself then? Surely this also is not "normal". It should be only in the rarest cases that this could happen, surely? Also, if the safety catch is no "engaged" in all cases, then as WE have repeatedly said, then this implies a design flaw - as a safety is meant to engage in all cases. It's like saying an emergency exit release doesn't always have to work (building, plane, train, ferry etc) - hmmm....a flaw maybe?

P.S. the "complainant" indicated in SJ's report is my case - so this implies I was the first one that filed a case to VOSA. Are they saying that VOSA weren't aware of ANY incidents prior to this point? If this is the case, I think incidents have been happening but weren't reported in the way they should have been. Lastly, I am slightly confused on recent discussions on the catch mechanism - has there been any design changes with the early Mark2 vs. the more recent Mark2 - say a change for the 2003-2005 Mark 2 models?

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 11th March 2007 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Slight typo!
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome