Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - A radical overhaul of the driving test system being proposed

View Single Post
post #4 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2007
Technical Supremo

Nominated 16 Times in 67 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 28
Thanked 5,199 Times in 4,711 Posts
Driving test ad skills

Can we as a nation condone the untimely deaths of young drivers what can we do about it. The aim of banning inexperienced drivers (regardless of age) driving at night is simply this most fatalities involving inexperienced drivers occur between the hours of 11-00pm and 5-00 am. New Zealand and some of the states in America operate such a system. In fact some states operate a policy of restricting elderly drivers to driving in daylight only. Surely our aim should be to reduce road deaths. I appreciate there are people who live in rural areas and driving is the only means they have of getting to work, etc. but surely something needs to be done. They main cause of accidents involving young drivers is inexperience. When I passed my test my instructor said well done but now the hard part begins how right he was. A two stage test may be worth considering whereby after the first year sit another test to see if driving skills have improved (which should have). My wife passed her test first time some 8 years ago and has never driven a car since yet legally she is permitted to drive. Obviously something needs changing.
Currently in madnoel10's garage:
Honda Civic 1.4l
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome