Originally Posted by Silverbacksauce
Parcel shelf adjustment is carried out by disconecting the 2 operating cables that attach to the boot lifting rams. The distance between the inner cable and outer cover is measured and if not within limits is adjusted by turing the outer cover that is screwed in at the other end. Its a pretty simple job but I would not recommend doing it yourself, If the correct measurements are not met you could have no end of problems(I know of parcel shelvs snapping in half!!!). Take it to your local renault dealer, they shouldnt charge more than 1.5h labour..
OMG I FIXED IT!!!
Thanks for the info. Due to the delicate nature of what you are described I decided to give renault a call to see how much a diognostic would cost. Anyway being me I started firing quastions (fact finder mission) and the guy said in their experience of the ones they have fixed most of the time it's not the cables that are at fault it's the parcel shelf that is damaged in some way. I put that together with what you said and it got me thinking..........
I couldn't see any damage to my parcel shelf but I could see how it might be a weak link due to it being plastic so I inspected it once again for signs of damage. I found nothing and then I traced back to when the problem began and I remembered the shelf getting caught on the passenger side as I raised the roof. Luckily I heared and saw it before it got damaged and simply lowered and re-raised the roof which seemed to work fine.
NOW THIS WORKED FOR ME I HOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU.
I came up with the theory that perhaps the cables weren't stretched at all it was just the shelfs position on the cable that had moved slightly when it got caught on the way up.
I lowered and manually helped it beat the boot then I raised it as if to close it but stopped about half way (just after the two outer wings retracted in to the shelf) I then gently pushed the shelf down (towards the boot) in soft jerks. I only did it a few times then I tried to lower the roof. I noticed that the shelf had moved slightly and almost beat the boot so I repeated the process again and this time it almost beat it. The third time I did it Eureka
! it worked!!!
My boot and shelf shuts like it used to again and there are no signs of it catching on the way up either
Good luck everyone I hope it works for you too!!!