Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #554 of (permalink) Old 11th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
please find below an email i sent to Renault along with the response i recieved:

i recently purchaced a clio 2 ( reg V*** ***) last month for my wife so she would be able to drive me around due to a disability.
all was well till 2 wks ago when she drove over a speed hump in the road & the bonnet "clicked" open (luckily no further as was only doing 20 mph)
initially we put this down to a "one off" but since the recent watchdog programme on BBC1 we're not so confident now.

my wife does a fair bit of motorway travelling but now refuses to drive this car due to her anxiety & worry over the bonnet flipping up at higher speeds.

im writing this as i wish it to be logged concerning our worry over this matter & would like to see your response to this (other than a generic worded statement off your chief exec)

ie, 1) what advice as to what we need to look out for.
maybe include a picture of the supposidly offending part & how to tell if ours is likely to fail again.

2) maybe offing us a "free" check over at a renault dealership (gloucester is closest)

3) if there is an option of getting this part replaced with one that is more substantial & man enough for the job as opposed to the plastic one fitted at present.

please reply with a response & answer that is worthy of our concern along with confirmation of reciept & logging of this communication.

many thanks

Our Ref: 1-113298543

Thank you very much for your recent correspondence to our Customer Service department regarding your wife's recently purchased Renault Clio. I can fully understand your concerns. I would like to reiterate that we take all customer complaints seriously and the safety of all of our customers is of paramount importance to us.

Therefore, we have set up a dedicated task force of experts to investigate this matter further. We will receive the findings of the taskforce very soon. When we do, we will take the appropriate action with the safety of our Customer***8217;s in mind.

We do not agree that it is possible for the car***8217;s bonnet to open if it is secured in the locked position and checked according to the guidelines in the vehicle***8217;s handbook. In these circumstances, the safety catch will hold at all speeds. I have attached a copy taken from the Clio handbook that provides you with further information.

Our recommendation is to contact your nearest dealer, who will be more than happy to examine your vehicle and answer any questions you may have. Our dealer network will continue to closely check the condition of bonnet locking mechanisms on all Renault vehicles during routine maintenance.

Additionally, the security of the bonnet and catch mechanism are inspected during the annual MOT test for vehicles over three years of age. You are more than welcome to take your vehicle to your local Renault dealer for an inspection. The bonnet inspection, will be carried out free of charge.

You can find your local Renault dealer via our website Renault UK, where you can search for the dealer using the town or postcode search facility. The website also has all of the dealers contact information, including directions, which you may find useful.

We have located your Renault dealership is Gloucester as:
Hylton Group,
Units 1 and 2, Central Trading Estate,
Cole Avenue,
Tel no. 01452 384 254
Fax 01452 384 255

I have also provided some links below; that I feel may be of interest to you. I have ensured your comments have been logged here at Customer Services, thank you for taking the time to contact us on this matter.

If you would like any further assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us at Renault Customer Services via telephone or email us on

Thank you again for getting in touch.

Ebbah Odera
Renault Customer Services
Renault UK
Tel: 0800 072 33 72
Fax: 01923 895101

Renault - Safety - - The Official Site of the European New Car Assessment Programme - 25 point safety check
Currently in bazman's garage:
2000 Renault Clio 1.6 16v

Last edited by bazman; 11th March 2007 at 04:43 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome