Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #562 of (permalink) Old 13th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
j_bo82 - looking at your photos on Post #373 the main catch appears to be siezed. The moving part of the catch is hardly visible, probably enough to just hold the bonnet, but any bumps or vibration could release it.

I have highlighted the catch in red (on animated gif) and for comparison shown a laguna catch also (couldn't find another photo of a clio one) on which the catch is clearly visible as it should be and needs to be to fully engage with the bonnet spike.

The safety catch must have stuck in the not engaged position also.

I do not agree with Renault's response that there is no problem with the catches, but can see it would be a more straightforward argument if one of them had snapped off due to being too weak. I think it is particularly bad of Renault to accuse drivers of not closing the bonnet properly.

The bonnet catches are a very poor flimsy arrangement and prone to corrosion and siezing. Most other cars have a bonnet catch similar to a door catch and are more robust and resistant to siezing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	clio.gif
Views:	110
Size:	227.3 KB
ID:	2526   Click image for larger version

Name:	laguna.gif
Views:	107
Size:	176.1 KB
ID:	2527  
Currently in andy_tech's garage:
Ford Mondeo