Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - What I hate about driving...

View Single Post
post #38 of (permalink) Old 30th November 2005
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by OG
Horatio, I was enjoying your post until you got to the bit about caravaners
I hate caravans too... when I'm not towing one, and even sometimes when I am. Originally I was dead set against having one, so the missus managed to get me to compromise on a trailer tent. We had it for a couple of years, but it took about four hours to completely set up and about the same to put away again, making it impractical for just about anything other than a full week away. So we flogged that and bought a fairly small caravan (12 footer) and it really wasn't that bad. Since sproggle has turned up, we've had to upsize to a 17 footer - the old 2.0 IDE used to struggle, but with the 1.9dCi, it's like towing the little one again.

I tow mine at the legal speed limit whenever it's safe to do so and get peeved when I'm stuck behind someone who doesn't. Now it has to be said that the limit is 10mph less than the one for cars on certain roads, but most of us can tolerate 50 on an A-road (especially when the alternative is to be stuck behind an artic that's legally limited to 40 and much longer to overtake.) And if I get a queue of people desperate to get past and I can find somewhere to pull over, then I'm happy to do that.

Motorhomes are worse anyway. I'm not sure why, but most motorhome owners seem incapable of getting even close to the speed limit. I think it's because they can hear all the pots and pans clanging around in the back of the vehicle. When you have a caravan, you're blissfully unaware of it until you get to your destination and find the crockery all over the floor
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome