Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault - Scenic II - No spare wheel??

View Single Post
post #20 of (permalink) Old 13th March 2007
S.M.A.R.T.(y) Pants
Nominated 11 Times in 37 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 17
Thanked 2,467 Times in 1,851 Posts
This situation does seem incredible, but the reason why manufacturers do this is because of cost savings (their wheel demands on the production line drop by 20%), the cars are (marginally) lighter - lower emissions, plus there is a bigger boot (or one with a flatter floor). There is always the opportunity to upsell an extra wheel & tyre to those who don't feel that the benefits outweigh the risk of being stranded.

What I can't understand is why Renault don't fit runflat tyres when there is no spare? The cars (by and large) have the tyre pressure sensors which are needed, and this would reduce the risk of being stuck at the roadside.

A strange situation indeed.

This job should never be complete - the day I think I've done it all, is the day I resign.

S.M.A.R.T. Technician
Currently in VelSatisfied's garage:
2005 FIAT Ducato 2.8JTD LWB Gran Volume, 2000 Kawasaki ZZR 1100 D7 'fullpower' in black + full GIVI & KAPPA luggage, 2007 MB R-Class 320 CDi Sport LWB uprated by Brabus to 300Bhp don't know if there's a 155mph limiter - will be fun finding out! 2004 Mercedes Vaneo 1.7 CDi Ambiente 7-seater
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome