Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Handsfree card fun

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 30th November 2005 Thread Starter
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Handsfree card fun

Okay, so who else with the handsfree system has had fun with their local garage jetwash?

Shame on me, but today was the first time I've washed my car since new. And to be honest, I've only done that because it had the misfortune to find itself directly beneath the flightpath of an incontinent albatross. It actually managed to score a hit on every window and nearly every panel. Nice shot!

A handy tip (that I'll remember in future) is that if you don't want to look a complete idiot, then manually lock the car with the card before starting to jetwash it. Why? Because every time you move just out of range with the card, the car locks itself, but every time soap or water flows over one of the sensors, the car unlocks again. All this is accompanied by the usual beeps and flashes, making the car look like it's attempting a rather poor impersonation of R2D2.

On a more serious note: I've been impressed with the handsfree card - in spite of parking the car right outside my front window, it still reliably locks itself the moment I step through the front door. I was made up with this until I went to get something out of the car the other day. I opened the boot (as expected) but only later realised that I wasn't actually carrying the card - it was inside the house.

So while the car locks itself, it doesn't necessarily follow that Joe Public can't unlock it just by activating one of the sensors. If you park really close to your house, then you need to take care where you leave your keycard. I'm now trying to get into the habit of leaving the keys in the dining room. The hook that I've kept them on for donkey's years is too close to the car.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
  5 Lastest Threads by Horatio
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio II odd ABS fault Electronics jamie 6 3838 22nd May 2011 08:49 AM
Carminat TomTom nightmare Electronics JohnKFreeman 9 16962 7th May 2011 09:54 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome