Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Vel Satis Problems

View Single Post
post #46 of (permalink) Old 13th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Send a message via Skype™ to twoscarecrows
Hi Ottoman

I've only had it back for 5 days, but it seems to be fine. The gas tank is a 65 litre (I think) toroid that causes the boot floor to be raised by about 2", so there is a sacrifice there. The fuel cap has been put in the bottom of the bumper which is plastic. This is better than putting it in a side panel as you don't get the corrosion problems and it is pretty much out of sight. Inside, there is a switch which has been installed in the spare switch plate, so that is out of the way.

The advantages are savings of 1000 per year (I do 9000 miles a year) so I no longer feel guilty when I put my foot down. I don't yet know how much road tax will be reduced by or whether I will have to pay congestion charges. As I never go to London, that doesn't matter - yet! You also get double the range if you use both full tanks.

Disadvantages are initial cost (1600), loss of boot space, another filler cap and a crappy switch that also acts as the fuel gauge - it has 3 lights for full, no lights for empty and apparently is as accurate as a weather forecast. Strangely, the trip computer is still calculating my mileage which leads me to believe it measures fuel consumption based on engine usage, not on fuel tank levels (obviously it has not been linked to the new tank, and the old tank still has the same amount of petrol despite travelling 100 miles +). I'll give a full report after its first (free) 1000 mile service.
Currently in twoscarecrows's garage:
2002 Vel Satis 3.5 Initiale
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome