Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Modus fuel flap solenoid

View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 23rd March 2014 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Re: Modus fuel flap solenoid

Hi, update on solenoid replacement as promised.
Turned out to be a doddle!

First remove right hand torx screw from the black strip across the boot (itís the strip that has the latch for the door catch through it) remove the parcel shelf and fold down the rear seat for more access.

Open the passenger door next to the flap and pull off the rubber trim around the rear part of the opening, pull off the rubber strip on the right hand side of the boot opening.

Remove clip-in access panel in the lower panel, remove one torx screw from lower panel (photo) and remove the upper seat belt bolt
Now wiggle tug and if need be mutter a few anglo-saxon words to remove the top panel. It has tongues up behind the roof lining, clips into the door pillar and extends behind the lower panel; the lower panel should come out just far enough to let you pull the upper panel out from the clips and down enough to clear the head lining.

You now have easy access to the unit (photos) pull out the white button to release a sort of rawlplug like expanding plug in a hole, pull the unit out of the fixing hole, you can then get access to release a small clip and unplug it from the wiring.

Standard warning is always to disconnect the battery before commencing any work on the wiring; there I have covered myself, and Ok I have to admit I didnít bother.
Refitting is a simple reversal of the above, only fiddle is once again getting the top panel into position, and of course make sure the seat belt fixing is secure and belt operates correctly.

Now a little word of advice for anyone with a failed solenoid and so unable to open the flap.
The first time it happened I was not short of fuel went home and managed to get a finger up to push the rod while operating the remote and got lucky as it opened. The second time stuck on the forecourt I had to resort to pushing down on the flap twisting and pulling again I got lucky.

Now I have had the car apart I can see how to do it, look at the photo of the unit and identify the white button, about 3 inches above that is a hook which if pushed up will operate the rod, however reaching it is really difficult, but possible.

Remove the clip on panel in the boot, with a torch looking up you can just see the white button put your hand up the opening with your palm towards you knuckles against the white button you should then feel the hook, push up about 1 inch and hey-presto! The rod will release. If you can scrounge a couple of disposable gloves from the dispenser they usually have by the diesel pump you may be able to manage this task with a small amount of skin still left on your knuckles.

Best wishes
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panel screw.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	41386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear panel.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	41394   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unit 2.jpg