Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Nose weight

Thread: Nose weight
View Single Post
post #5 of (permalink) Old 15th March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by andyalize View Post
Thanks for that, yes we did have a towbar fitted by a mobile towbar fitter and there is no sticker. We looked at the instructions and it just states that it is the correct towbar for the Laguna and to check with vehicle for noseweight.

Thanks for links I will check them out.
No worries!

There must be a type approval plate on there somewhere. It's a legal requirement. Sometimes it's not that obvious though. It could be on the main cross-member, which is mostly hidden by the bumper. It could well be a hands and knees job to get to see it.

For cars that started production after late 1998, it's probably impossible to get a non-approved bar anyway, but as the Laguna I pre-dates that and non-approved bars are available, I'd make a point of looking for the approval plate. If you can't find it, get in touch with the fitter and ask him where to look. If it turns out that he's fitted a non-approved bar, demand a replacement. He should have known better.

If you ever bump into PC Pedantic while towing, he might well check this out. Worse still, if you ever have an accident while towing, you may just find that a non-approved bar voids your insurance. Some shoddily designed non-approved Laguna I bars bolt onto the spare wheel well instead of using the proper forward mounting points. Metal fatigue can set in over time, especially if you tow a twin axle trailer, and it's actually possible for the bar to rip the bottom out of the boot.

Sorry to be all doom and gloom over this, but I'm sure you'd prefer to know now, rather than when things turn nasty.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.

Last edited by Horatio; 15th March 2007 at 08:35 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome