Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Extended Warranty

View Single Post
post #14 of (permalink) Old 16th March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
When I spoke to the warranty company on the phone, I was told that, even with them, I needed to take out the new warranty before the factory/dealer one expired in order to be eligible for their "wear and tear" cover. Without the wear and tear option, the car basically wouldn't be covered for anything that wore out due to age or use... which kind of defeats the object of the warranty if you ask me.

Presumably, they're wise to people taking out warranties on cars that already have faults, and so provide a lower level of cover accordingly. I imagine they work on the basis that if the car is still under the original warranty, you'd have had faults fixed under that, so you're not about to try to rip them off in this manner.

They're not mugs, and I'm sure they anticipate some people only taking a warranty out once problems have arisen. You can bet that there are clauses in there that allow them to wriggle out of just about anything if they think you're taking the mick (the 'wear and tear' clause could be applied to just about any component.) What's more, I bet the policy premiums are loaded on the basis that they expect some people to abuse the warranties in this way.

Ultimately, they're an insurance company. If, on average, they're collecting considerably more in premiums than they're paying out in claims, they're happy.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome