Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio II Bonnet - Customer Communication

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th March 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Exclamation Renault Clio II Bonnet - Customer Communication

Renault have published the following to Renault Clio Mark-2 owners - and those who experienced the issues. I am assuming the first sentence is specific to the cases reported to Renault.

"You previously advised us that you experienced the bonnet opening unexpectedly, whilst driving your Clio II. As you maybe aware, there has been coverage in the media on this subject. To investigate this issue in depth, Renault set up a Task Force of experts. The Task Force have reached their conclusions and as we had agreed, we are communicating our findings with you.

Renault has liaised fully with the independent governing body, the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA), on the issue and both Renault and VOSA have concluded that the safety catch and bonnet lock mechanisms of the Clio II have no design or construction defect. The bonnet catch and lock mechanisms are safe, reliable and fit for purpose, providing the vehicle is correctly maintained and that the bonnet is closed as prescribed.

We fully understand that you may still have concerns, therefore we invite you to take your car to your Renault dealer, who will be happy to check the condition of your safety catch and bonnet lock mechanisms as well as to demonstrate how the bonnet should be closed correctly. Also, they will be able to carry out any necessary maintenance if applicable. The checks and any corrective action will be performed free of charge. For information on Renault dealers in your area, please visit our web site Renault UK

We have instructed our dealer network to check the condition of the safety catch and bonnet lock mechanisms on all Renault vehicles during routine servicing and MOT. A check of the condition and operation of the safety catch and bonnet lock mechanisms is part of the annual MOT test for vehicles over 3 years of age (4 years in Northern Ireland).
As part of our reassurance plan and in co-operation with the relevant authorities, we will write to all Renault Clio II customers inviting them into their nearest Renault dealership, where the safety catch and bonnet mechanisms will be checked to ensure correct maintenance is being undertaken. Additionally, we will remind customers of the importance of following the correct procedure for closing the bonnet and ensuring it is locked, as set out on page 4.02 of the owner's handbook.

If you have any queries on this, or any other issue, please contact Renault Customer Services on our freephone number, 0800 0723372.

Yours sincerely

Mick Moore
Director. Customer Management"

Yes this is short of a full Recall - however, I am glad to see that some good has come out of the Media attention - and detailed in depth on this forum!

I still feel this is only one small step to resolve the issue - i.e. still believe a Recall is required and more-importantly a manufacturing design flaw exists, but hope this approach at leasts attempt to ensure the issues are communicated in a former approach to all Renault Clio owners!

More details - please refer to the comprehensive thread below:

The following thread has a fantastic explanation as to what to look out for if you are checking your own bonnet catches on the Renault Clio Mark-2 (come to think of it - I guess it relates to ANY Renault vehicle - in case the same "mechanism" has been implemented for multiple-models!):

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 17th March 2007 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Emphasise quoted statement / letter from Renault
  5 Lastest Threads by brigatti
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Clio feels like its about to stall when stationary Engines brigatti 2 1581 18th April 2009 10:39 AM
Clio Bonnet Catch Failures Key Steps Cars & motoring tikkagirl 11 9173 9th April 2007 04:06 PM
Renault Clio II Bonnet - Customer Communication Cars & motoring brigatti 6 3763 17th March 2007 11:11 AM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome