Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #572 of (permalink) Old 17th March 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
The formal written statement is as follows (refer to thread link below):

This was sent to me and all of the folks that filed a case against Renault. It has implied that a further communicate will be sent out to ALL CLIO MARK-2 owners!

This statement follows the "Task Force" investigations (I think this probably means a board-meeting saying how can we quash this media wraggling quick and easy (oh and as cheap as possible?)!

A few comments on the statement issued to me:
  • VOSA has let the general public down, as they didn't manage to complete a more thorought and detailed investigation. Because of this, they simply commented that they agreed with what Renault had previously stated, i.e. "no design or manufacturing defect" exists. So Renault have very sensibly chosen to "quote" this fact too - to help build their case that their cars are "safe"!!
  • It would appear, as quoted in Renault's letter (your views are welcome!), that the operation and condition of the bonnet (main and safety) catches and mechanism is verified during the MOT, so could be a reason why the reported cases only occurred for recent years-models, i.e. within the first 3 years of using the vehicle!
  • They are also advised that they will "educate" all customers on how to close the bonnet correctly - "in accordance to their handbook" (page 4.02). So in short, they are implying out of the million of vehicle owners on the road, it is just the Renault Clio Mark-2 owners that are stupid! Can this be seen as a defamatory comment then? step closer, but falls short of a total recall. Will this stop the incidents occurring, I don't think so - maybe a short interlude between now and the next case though?

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI

Last edited by brigatti; 17th March 2007 at 11:26 AM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome