Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Demister / AC Panel + Fuse Box Nightmare

View Single Post
post #1 of (permalink) Old 17th March 2007 Thread Starter
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Question Demister / AC Panel + Fuse Box Nightmare

Hi - This is my first post so please excuse any screw-ups in the formatting and protocol of my post. Here is my situation (Apologies for length, but this is how it all happened, I don't wanna miss something out that might be important):

1999 Laguna 1.9 dTI Alize
About 3 months ago the lights stopped working on the heater control panel (the orange ones around the actual knobs). Well it turned out all of these were back-lit by a single filament bulb (yea - the kind that BLOW!) so I removed the cover, took out the old bulb and put in one that I bought at a dismantlers [£5]. Unfortunately, I am an idiot, and one of the prongs for the bulb was bent back on itself, so the bulb blew when I switched the ignition. At the same time, I heard a pop from further into the console and could smell burning. I think I could smell burning coming from the console AND the fuse box under the steering wheel. I replaced the console circuitry with one from an online dismantlers [£35].

Well, after fitting the new circuitry, it seems to have sorted my lights around the knobs (yay!) and I can hear the relays clicking when the demister and the AC buttons are pressed on and off. Funnily enough, the rear demister wasn't working. The light was coming on, and the relay was clicking but it wasn't warming up demisting. VERY frustrating because I had the same problem with my old Laguna and it was never solved. I did circuit tests at the printed demister circuit (the one on the glass), at the boot connector, and also at the heavy gauge wiring under the plastic cover next to the passenger-side foot well. No voltage at any point.

Finally resorted to taking it a garage to be told that the fuse / relay block under the steering wheel was probably blown somewhere, which would explain the burning smell when that infamous bulb blew.

BUT - The plot thickens, because when it came back from the garage, there was no more clicking from the relays when the buttons are pressed. I questioned the garage dude and he was only at liberty to tell me that to get this sorted would be "Silly money". When asked to clarify, and possibly give me a approximate value, he just shook his head and said .." Tut - Silly money!!"

Can someone with any experience at all please suggest how I can fix this - I am at my wits end.

Thanks in Advance,
Currently in Ernz's garage:
1999 Renault Laguna I 1.9dti Alizť NO LONGER! He now drives a 2001 Renault Laguna II 1.8 16V Dynamique.
  5 Lastest Threads by Ernz
Thread Forum Last Poster Replies Views Last Post
Laguna Brainteaser - Won't Start, Not Keycard... Electronics Ernz 20 8208 14th June 2009 01:55 PM
Up for a Challenge? - ABS Not Working - No... Wheels & tyres Lagdti 7 1482 19th March 2008 10:29 AM
Demister / AC Panel + Fuse Box Nightmare Electronics Ernz 11 4929 17th March 2007 05:33 PM
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome