Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #582 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 1 Post
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 2
Originally Posted by martinart View Post
I've checked mine out and it's all intact and working correctly. I would say that it would be obvious if there was a fault in either the safety catch or the main bonnet catch, I want to stress that provided the bonnet is shut correctly there is no way it can fly open. If owners are going to rely on the safety catch by not shutting the bonnet fully then at speed it could well fly open. That applies to most cars I've ever owned, and I've owned a lot of cars.
I completely disagree with your assertions. What makes you think that a fault would be obvious? There are subtleties like cross-bearer out of location or shape, spring failure on either of the two devices, friction restraint on the moving parts, excessive travel of the safety catch, etc, etc, etc. You can stress all you like that "provided the bonnet is shut properly there is no way it can fly open"; but we won't accept what you say under any circumstances. That is exactly what VOSA did, i.e., accepted a similar statement from Renault but are now busy trying to protect their butts for statements made earlier and for information given to the public that differs from the facts.

Your statement of assertions is what I would have expected from Renault or VOSA so I'll ask you to substantiate it, if you please.

You can choose to accept your own theory but I sincerely have to hope that you are correct in this instance because I'd hate to hear that your car proved you wrong my friend. Safety first and all that stuff.

Confucius he say "Wise Inuit never eats yellow snow"
Currently in vass20's garage:
Citroen Relay 2.2 HDi + Citroen C4 1.6 HDi EGS
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome