Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #584 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2007
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
raw nerve touched?

I've obviously touched a raw nerve with my comments, which are based on my own experience. Having made those comments which I still believe to be right, I would just qualify them a little. I am aware that not everyone has the same vehicle ownership history or mechanical knowledge as myself. Most of my generation came through a period in car ownership where one would carry out routine maintenance oneself, and as a result would learn to keep an eye on things like this. However, not every driver gives their car much thought and expects the thing to function with little or no intervention on their part. This is probably more true today than ever before. A lot of car owners these days simply get in and drive the thing without ever opening the bonnet unless they need to top up the washer bottle. One example I can give is my neice who came to visit once and mentioned her car felt funny! On checking the car, one front tyre was almost flat and the tyre pressures inthe others were all over the place! Then another young man I know also mentioned his car was pulling to the left a bit and had a vibration in the steering. When I checked the car, the nearside wheel had a huge dent in the rim and a bulge in the tyre where it had clearly been kerbed quite violently.
Having said all that, the manufacturer does have a responsibility to ensure that the design of its product is one that is reasonably foolproof and reliable, subject to proper maintenance being carried out as specified, and even then it should have some latitude to allow for failures on the part of owners.
I still say that for the Clio bonnet(and indeed any other car) to fly open both the main catch and safety catch would have to fail. For that to happen would surely involve a degree of neglect or misuse in my view, on the part of the owner. I don't work for Renault, or VOSA, I'm just an owner and I take my responsibility as a car owner seriously.
Currently in martinart's garage:
Renault Clio Dynamique 1.5dCi
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome