Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Renault Clio 2 - Bonnet Catch Failures

View Single Post
post #588 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2007
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
My additional thoughts

Again, to be absolutely clear, no offense to you or anyone else for their own and open views - I accept these...but most importantly, 12mths ago (almost to the day - 23rd March) - I could have been killed or fatally injured by this apparent life-threatening issue. This is why I am pushing for action as I DO NOT want anyone else to experience it ever again (where possible, that is!)

Originally Posted by martinart View Post
However, not every driver gives their car much thought and expects the thing to function with little or no intervention on their part. This is probably more true today than ever before. A lot of car owners these days simply get in and drive the thing without ever opening the bonnet unless they need to top up the washer bottle.
I think this is generalising a wee bit, but the point is valid and well-put. I for one am keen, like you, to take responsibility that I driving a car that is safe and road-worthy for me and the other people in or around the car (and ensure I check the "important" things on a weekly/fortnightly basis)... but the responsibility also likes with the servicing garage as well as the manufacture. Else, why do Recalls occur (it's the manufactures duty to address something that they perceive could endanger the lives of motorists!)? On a similar point, if this matter is related to "owners misuse", why did Alfa Romeo issue a recall in the similar situation a few years back? Doesn't make sense right?

Having said all that, the manufacturer does have a responsibility to ensure that the design of its product is one that is reasonably foolproof and reliable, subject to proper maintenance being carried out as specified, and even then it should have some latitude to allow for failures on the part of owners.

I still say that for the Clio bonnet(and indeed any other car) to fly open both the main catch and safety catch would have to fail.
Your point is well made - thank you for concurring with our previous comments.

You hit the nail on the head a "failure" has to have occurred - regardless what Renault and VOSA implied. One catch fails possibly fine - but both catches? (Then again if the safety catch wasn't engaged - then we are just talking about the one "main" catch then aren't we!?).

The safety catch design is very simplistic on the Clio and it has to be acknowledged, if not properly maintained could stick open.
...and this is the issue, because of it's simplistic "design" (manufacturing issue) and the very fact it is affected by lack of lubrication/maintenance (maintenance issue) - then together this creates a potent safety issue! Hmmm....i.e. endangers lives... accepting and addressing the latter still poses concerns on the former....question is how often should one "maintain" the catch - every time you make a long journey, dependent on weather conditions. All Renault are doing is delaying the occurrences. So we see a decline here and now, but in a few weeks and months, the cases will re-occur. This is VERY short-sighteness, a re-design and replacement part is required - and this can only be achieved by a Recall. Secondly, telling the customers that an issue exists but leaving it down to that customer to make the move to "visit a dealership" is stubboness! Then if a issue occurs, I can hear Renault saying, we told the customer to come in, but they didn't! Actually, they "invited" a customer to come in - this is not the tone to use for such a safety related issue!

Aaron Brigatti
Brigatti Online -

Clio Bonnet-Catch Issues?
- Read the Correspondence Archive (Recently Updated!) @
- and the latest on my experiences @

Currently in brigatti's garage:
2009 Audi A4 1.4 TFSI
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome