Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Budget 'to hit gas guzzlers hard'

View Single Post
post #16 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Nice rant Horatio but pity it didn't answer the question. You sure your not a politician - it was a typical politicians answer. Rant, rave, go off on a tangent (seen it all before). I just asked the question should there be a limit on the size of what people should be able to drive. And your 2-3 times more should read 200%-300% - I don't know about you but that's a helluva lot in my book. I'm sure others reading this thread would like to hear your answer the question.
Straight answer then: No.

Jusification? None, other than that I don't feel the government has any more right to dictate which car I drive than they do to dictate how big my house is or how warm I keep it in winter. Still, there's a council tax review in the pipeline (just 'axed' but only until after the next election) and they added VAT to domestic fuel a few years back. I wonder how long it'll be before they start stacking huge duty levies on it.

Agreed, 200-300% is a large increase (I read it exactly the same as 2-3 times) and someone doing high mileages in a large vehicle should be encouraged to downsize, as they already are by fuel duty. My point was to question whether 'school run' 4x4's actually do that much environmental damage, especially when (according to the article) there's only around a quarter of a million of the real guzzlers on the road. Motoring is already the tip of the iceberg when it comes to carbon emissions, so why are we looking at the tip of that tip?
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome