Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Laguna II mpg calculator

View Single Post
post #6 of (permalink) Old 19th March 2007 Thread Starter
Diamond member
Nominated 0 Times in 0 Posts
TOTW/F/M Award(s): 0
Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
....In all honesty they're about estimating and without accurate measuring devices how can they calculate the amount of fuel used.....

They have extremely accurate measuring devices; the ECU and common rail injection system is precision tuned, you're not telling me it doesn't know exactly how much fuel it's using, couple that with total distance travelled and then it's just a very simple calculation. It knows how far I've travelled, this is a journey I've made twice every day for the last 2 years so I know how far it is, it 'estimates' this bang on. It even estimates how far I'll get when I fill up, it'll read 440 miles, or thereabouts, I then drive 330 miles in a week, the estimate usually reads around 100 miles left (give or take 10-15 either way depending) but the average mpg is 41.5 constant, actually it's just gone up to 42.1 this week - which is odd because diesel just went up!

So, if it can estimate the fuel remaing (in terms of miles) and it knows the distance covered since filling up, how can it not know the mpg?

Originally Posted by madnoel10 View Post
Also I'm of the opinion that the computers are set up to give the best results as otherwise it would affect sales. Think about it.
So surely it would read more than I was getting in this case, not less? I get approx 46-50 but it says I'm getting 41.5 (well, 42.1 as of this week).

I know it's screwy, I just wondered if it was common among the model - my guess is it'll be a software error as the sensors seem Ok. It's not km/m conversion because I'd be better off, not worse.

Thanks for your input though guys, it's always appreciated and your opinions valued.
Currently in Schmooster's garage:
2003 Laguna II 1.9dCi Extreme

Last edited by Schmooster; 19th March 2007 at 07:58 PM.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome