Renault Forums :: Independent Renault forum - View Single Post - Fitting HID kit to a Laguna II

View Single Post
post #9 of (permalink) Old 21st March 2007
Platinum member
Nominated 0 Times in 7 Posts
Nominated TOTW/F/M Award(s): 8
Originally Posted by Andy M View Post
I agree with the self levelling too, any headlamps properly aimed will not blind anyone anymore than normal ones.
HID lamps output three times the visible light of standard wattage halogens. If incorrectly aimed, their dazzling effect to oncoming traffic will be considerably increased. There are already plenty of people who complain that the extra output of HID lamps dazzle them, even when correctly aligned. Though I wonder how many of them are just the sort of curmudgeon who has a downer on any kind of new technology - 20-odd years ago, they were probably moaning about the introduction of halogens
Also (optical wise) the factory hid lamps and standard ones don't appear to differ (i.e no projector units) so i presume they take D2R bulbs with the shield?
I'd spotted obvious differences in the reflector design between the halogen and Xenon Lagunas, on the phase 1 at least. The standard lamps have an oval-ish reflector surround for the main bulb, but the Xenons don't. I haven't seen the phase 2 halogens, but the phase 2 Xenons have 'projector' style lamps, with a huge fish-eye lens over the Xenon bulb. I assume that's because they're now bi-Xenons (I don't think the phase 1's were) and this allows the same bulb to be aimed differently for dip and full beam.
Ive noticed my halogens have the shield in place already to help the cutoff and reduce glare, so i think HID kit plus washers is the way to go.
And don't forget to use your leveller switch responsibly if you're carrying a load in the car.
Currently in Horatio's garage:
2010 Laguna III Initiale.
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome